Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Nervousness

So here we are looking at 12 days until departure. It feels like it will never get here! As I hear more and more of news around the trail, i get nervous and anxious. A friend of mine in PA tells me of a serial rapist attacking solo women on hiking trails in the area. One of my co-workers, tells me of people being rescued from Smokey Mountain National Park with hypothermia. Am I really prepared enough for this excursion?

I suppose it is good that I hear all of this information, as it makes me more aware of what is going on and to remember to be safe. Many I talk to tell me to carry pepper spray! Is it legal? Is it safe for someone like me? I suppose that is part of the adventure. Some of the books I have been reading talk about over preparation ruining the trail experience. So, I try not to over prepare, but what exactly is over preparation?

For the most part, I feel ready. Mentally, I am more than ready to get out of here. At the same time, I wonder if I am fooling myself into thinking I will have alone time on the trail when there are thousands of backpackers hiking this trail each year! I suppose even with 1000 backpackers on a 2200mile trail there is at least 2miles of area for each backpacker. Everything is going to be fine! What a crazy excursion on which to embark! I'm just eager to get out there and experience it all and take in all that is to be absorbed!

Thank you everyone for your support! Please do not worry about me as I will finally be able to worry about me! Take over worrying about yourselves as that is what I have been doing for the past 21years! I need to know everyone I have worried about for the past 21 years will be alright while I am gone! You know who you are and I hope all will be well with you. All my love to all of you! Enjoy my journey as I will be enjoying the time to reflect and introspect upon myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I will take care of myself if you promise to take care of yourself to the extent you have watched out for everyone else in the past. Love you bunches. MZP

Anonymous said...

I know who I am! Actually I'm looking forward to this being an adventure for me too. A chance for me to find myself. Then maybe we can have a healthier relationship when you get back! I love you, I miss you and I'm proud of you!

--STV