Sunday, April 24, 2005

Snow Day

Yes! Even on the trail we get snow days! This morning I woke up to snow in the air. As the morning wore on, the snow got thicker and began to come in horizontally. The temperature in Erwin, TN(1700ft elevation) was 30degrees with a wind chill of 23degrees. If I were on the trail, I would be at about 4000ft and thus a ton colder! So, I have to suffer with a day in the Hotel room! It has been nice, despite my complaining about having to take the day off!

There are a few reasons I wanted to post today! The first reason being as a helpful note to possible future thru-hikers. There are many things mentioned on the trail, take all of them with a grain of salt. I have heard so many horror stories of people, places, and events and have found things the complete opposite! For Example, I was told of a place here in Erwin, TN called Uncle Johnies Hostel. People on the trail told me the owner was only interested in how much he could charge people for a night's stay. I stopped there today and the owner was super friendly! It was a really nice place as well! The quarters were a little cramped compared to my room at the Holiday Inn Express, but it is a hostel and the rates were not as bad as people made it sound. You get a bunk in the hostel for $12-13. Most Hostels along the trail cost $15 at least in the south! I will give a better idea of hostels in the north when I get there! So, my advice to future thru-hikers is to always check things out for yourself! Weather, people, mood can all play into people's experiences.

Another reason for posting today was because I am extremely bored having zero days, but they are very necessary. I am able to hit the miles and hit them hard upon my return to the trail! The body does need the rest despite what some people think! Even just taking short days among the long days is necessary.

One last reason for my posting is to tell everyone the flora and fauna I have seen. The first day on the trail, I scared up a deer. I have since scared up a couple more. One night, "Montana", "Three Cats", and myself had a deer snorting and stomping the ground at us. That was kind of wild. I have seen salamanders, a bunny, butterflies, variety of birds, squirrels, chipmunks, bat, and bugs! In regards to the flora, there have been beautiful fields of flowers on the mountain tops at points. The past few days, I have come across wild iris, trillium of a variety of colors, some yellow flower, as well as dandelions! The views have been boring and gorgeous. It just depends on the location and the terrain! It does seem as though the trail is getting easier, but tomorrow I head back out to jump up in elevation again. We hit Roan High Knob in a couple of days which takes us up to 6200ft. Currently, I am at 1700ft. So, there is a bit of climbing from here! I have adopted the saying: "When in doubt, go up!" They miss only a few mountain tops out here on the trail!

So, that is all for the next 10days! I hope to be to Damascus by the first part of May, but we will see what happens! Montana and I are pushing along well these days, but sometimes our pace leaves us with blisters and pain thus breaking us down for the next day! It is just a matter of one foot in front of the other!

Take care to all my loved ones. Happy birthday to my Grandpa(April 19), my friend, Renee(April 21), my aunt, Trish(April 22), and my friend, Michael(April 29). I hope everyone has/had beautiful birthdays. Mine was a great day at Dollywood and beyond! Happy Trails and I look forward to many more miles of walking!

As always, my husband is constantly on my mind. I love you, Mike, and long for the day you get to join me on my adventure. This is a trip that could not happen without you! Thank you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to see your entries. How special to get two in two days!!:) Too bad we have to wait so long in between. Good to hear of fauna and flora! Will wait to see pictures!

Love ya bunches, stay healthy and safe.

mzp

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are taking 2 days off. I was monitoring the weather on the internet, and was concerned about you. We had a couple inches of snow, blowing, and cold. Glad you have animal, flora, and fauna to enjoy. The package should be in Troutville as you requested. Good to hear you are so "bubbly".

Love you!
Dad

Anonymous said...

I wanna snow day!!!! How come you get all the good stuff (pout, pout)? Personally I think it's because you deserve it!

Love, love, love ya!

Stevi

Anonymous said...

I hate to see you walking in that yucky weather but I guess that's part of the hike. I'm amazed at how positive you sound. I hope it continues. Thanks for the birthday greeting. That just made my birthday that much better. Till later auntie t

Anonymous said...

I heard about the snow this morning and wondering what you were doing - glad to hear you're staying safe! Thanks for the b-day wishes too!

Renee

Anonymous said...

Hi Kasey,
Go! Go! Go!
Joe