Saturday, April 23, 2005

Trail Life is Hard!

So, I am in a town again! Word on the trail is there is a snow storm headed for Tennessee. Montana and I made it off the trail after a quick 17mile day and got a room at the Holiday Inn Express! We thought briefly about the hostel, but then read about Hot Tub and a free pint of Ben&Jerry's Ice Cream and said oh yeah we are going to the Holiday Inn Express! Got in around 2pm and had a wonderful shower! Warm water felt great after hiking all morning in my shorts! The morning was beautiful, but it has gotten down right cold this afternoon! Got a ride to the grocery store and then one back to the hotel after having some pizza! Life on the trail is great!

Last night was amazing and frightening all in one! I was hauling butt in the morning with the intention of stopping and napping at the Bald Mountain Shelter. I had my stuff laid out when Montana, Pied Piper, and Goat Boy all pulled in talking of the pending storms and how many thru-hikers got off the trail at Sam's Gap. The thunder began rolling in and before you know it, we had hail! It was almost as big as the hail that damaged my car last June! I just sat there and laughed and pulled out my sleeping bag! We had 9 of us in the shelter last night after a short 10mile day! We all had fun just chatting and reading and hanging out! Thunder storm rolled in during the evening that had me almost climbing over Montana and hiding in the corner of the shelter! It scared the daylights out of me which doesn't usually happen! I had to laugh at myself! The night was unusually warm though and the morning was perfect for hiking into town!

Weather forecast not looking good for tomorrow and Montana is pushing to stay in town! I enjoy his company and thus will end up here for a second night! These zero days drive me crazy though, but being safe is more important. Not looking to die on the trail, so will stay here and stuff my face and relax while zoning out on civilization! Good company in the hotel here! Looks like tons of hikers coming off the trail for the weather! The hotel says they might as well be a hostel tonight since there are more hikers than anyone else! How fun it shall be the next couple of days!

Still doing well and have actually been enjoying myself on the trail! Today was the first day back hiking with Montana after losing him 2 days ago. He has been going slow for blisters and I have been powering through things! I think I am ahead of schedule, but not sure what this weather stop will do for my schedule! The 20milers seem easy these days depending on the terrain and the weather. Out of here there is some huge elevation gains, so I think the days will be a little shorter. I know the pace will be a little slower than this morning!

Take care everyone and know I am thinking of everyone daily! Today there were large thoughts of Od Duhu and Mike! Actually, Mike ends up on my mind all the time! I am sure Montana is tired of hearing about him! I love you Mike and hope that you continue to do well with your race schedule. I am proud of you for your placements in the first 2 of the season. Take care of yourself and know I am thinking of you daily and racing to the end so that I can get to you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good hearing from you. You do sound great! We got snow here over night just since talking to you. Know we think of you constantly wishing you well, good health and safety. Package going to DAmascus tomorrow!

Love ya bunches

mzp

Anonymous said...

Life on the trail is great? What life on the trail? Haven't you been off more than on?

I love you baby!

Stevi