Monday, June 06, 2005

The Awesome M.I.L

Well, I am back on the trail and for the last week I brought my mother-in-law (M.I.L) with me. She was quite the trooper! Here is my version of our time together. She is suppose to write Mike with her version of the trail!
The greyhound ride back to Waynesboro, VA was worse than the ride to AnnArbor, MI. I think every bus we took from AnnArbor to Stauton, VA was the oldest and dirtiest buses they owned! We had a 2+ hour layover in Detroit, where the awesome M.I.L was unable to defend against the crazies. I think she helped me attract them! That was an experience. Both guys who talked to us thought she was my sister. We were glad to leave there.
Upon arrival in Waynesboro, VA, we went to the P.O. to mail some items up the trail. As we waited at the P.O. for it to open, in walks One Thing. It was good to see a familiar face especially someone I had started with. I realized trail life was going to be just as good as it was in the beginning. While I took care of my package, M.I.L met another thru-hiker named Beam and chatted a bit with her. As we headed out of the building, One Thing informed me Woody and Irma were not at the hostel thus no reason to take M.I.L to meet them. Infront of the P.O., a gentleman asked if we were headed to the trail today to which we replied, "yes!" He then asked if we were walking or did we want a ride. It does not take much convincing for a thru-hiker to accept an easy hitch, so off we went. He stopped by the outfitters on the way to the trail only to find it closed! So, it was off to the trail.
It was a slow go on the first day due to both of us lacking sleep. We did a pace of just over 1mile per hour. It was crazy, but I was just glad to be back on the trail. That night at the shelter, we met Box of Fun, Ange, Mouth, Hemlock Muppet, Birdy, and Hunter. It was also my introduction to the Bear Poles in Shenandoah national park. We had a blast hanging bear bags in the evening as well as taking them down the next day. The pole we used to put the bags up was heavier than most of us could lift on our own, so we were quite a sight! It was tons of laughs.
The next day was M.I.L's first 13mile day. I think we both were a little nervous, but confident she would make it. We were slow and steady and had a great time. It was a sunny day but not a hot day. Still some fog, but it made for an enjoyable hike. At the shelter on the second night, more people I had started with arrived. It was great! I was excited to see Bootleg as he was my beacon in the snowstorm back from Helen, GA to Hiawassee, GA. M.I.L got to meet more people and the shelter was fuller than the night before. It was shaping up to be a good hike.
Then came the rain the next day! We both knew she would not escape 2 weeks on the AT without rain, but was unsure of how it would work out. We had fun despite the wetness and coldness. It was the first day we came across a wayside/campstore in the Park. We arrived to find a group of thru-hikers hanging out in the laundry room. M.I.L and I bought some food and joined the others in the laundry room. As we were getting our food, we met Spice Rack; who was actually at the shelter the night before. In the laundry room, we made sandwiches and conversed with fellow hikers. Spice Rack was quiet as he hugged a dryer for heat. The longer I sat still, the colder I got and ended up joining Spice Rack in the dryer hugging. As he and I hugged the dryer together, I talked him into joining M.I.L and I at the next shelter. He was shooting for a 26mile day. He was still debating when he left. We left a little after the others, but arrived at the shelter to find both Spice Rack and One Thing hanging out there. It was nice to have friends! During the evening, Spice Rack wheeled and dealed with M.I.L for the following day.
The next morning, the deal to do 20miles was in place as long as Spice Rack and I carried the weight in M.I.L's pack. We left her with her sleeping bag, water, and some snacks. It was a lot lighter and we set out on the trail. About 12miles into the day, M.I.L decided to grab a hitch as her toe was hurting from a blister under the nail. During lunch, Spice Rack had helped her tie her boot in a way that helped a little, but she was still unsure about the 20miles. We caught her a ride and Spice Rack and I did the last 8miles in to meet her. There was no cabin available, so we headed to the shelter, where we found Ange and Box of Fun. They were glad to see M.I.L and the night was filled with laughter.
The next day was planned to be a 16mile day, but M.I.L woke up saying she was done and heading home. At first I did not believe her. She spent a good portion of the morning crying which was partially due to her sugar intake as well as the great people she had already met along the way cheering her on. We hiked back a mile to the campground where she had caught the hitch to the day before and called Big Meadows to secure a room and then Jim to secure a ride. From there, we headed back to the shelter, where we found Spice Rack, Ange, and Box of Fun waiting for us. During the hike back, I had come up with the idea of doing 16miles with half of it being a slack pack and then all of us staying at Big Meadows together. Right away Spice Rack was in for it, but Ange and Box of Fun took some convincing, but not much! The day was set and it seemed as though all were happy. Spice Rack again hiked with M.I.L and I for the day. At Big Meadows Lodge, M.I.L checked into her room and saw us off as she headed for a nice soak in her bathtub. Spice Rack and I headed for the trail. Ange and Box of Fun were going to actually remain pure to the trail by carrying their packs the whole way but hitching a ride back to stay with us for the night. Off Spice Rack and I went down the trail. We met up with Box of Fun first and decided to scare her a little. We pretended we were being chased by a bear and Spice Rack actually got her to take off running with her pack on and everything. I broke down in the trail laughing until they stopped running. It was great. At the end of the 8mile slack pack, Spice Rack and I caught an easy hitch back to Big Meadows with a park employee. Not long behind us came Box of Fun and Ange. We headed down to the taproom for dinner and the live entertainment. From there, we headed back to the room and played cards until Jim arrived. We finished the game and it was well past our bedtime (hiker midnight = 9pm and we were up until real midnight). The night was full of fun and I think it was a good celebration of the Awesome M.I.L! She was truly amazing out there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a good thing I did in joining you to identify with what happens on the AT. It was also a good thing in knowing when to quit and let you go on with your journey. Thanks for letting me be a part of your journey. M.I.L.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good trip for both of you. Saw pics from MIL and noticed peeps getting a massage!!:) Bet you'll miss that. Way to go both of you.

Stay safe, stay healthy

lyb
mzp