Saturday, June 11, 2005

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia

So, I have hiked 1009.8miles by this point. It is exciting, but I have another 1165.1miles to go. The next few states look easy and I have a fun hiking partner for now! Also, Maryland looks like it will be interesting. For those who do not know yet, Spice Rack and I agreed at some point in the Shenandoahs we were going to hike the state of Maryland eating just snickers bars and flintstone vitamins. So, today will begin the experience. We decided we cannot call it a challenge and thus have termed it an experience.
Not much has occurred since Bears Den Hostel from where I last wrote. That place was amazing and it was great fun hanging out with Susan and Rob. Good games of Eucre as well as reisling, beer, and smores. The 20miles into Harpers Ferry were long but leisurely the next day!
Once in Harpers Ferry, we connected with Spice Rack's Dad who picked us up and took us to Fredricks, MD for the next couple evenings. We took yesterday off to rest and relax. Spice Rack's dad is big into trains and we spent our day at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, MD. From there, we headed back to the hotel to get situated and packed before heading out to watch Shakespeare Under the Stars on the campus of Hood College in Frederick, MD. It was a fun evening watching Much Ado About Nothing. When we got back to the hotel, Spice Rack and I celebrated our 1000mile achievement with Chimay and Rogue Dead Guy Ale as we organized things further and I talked to the love of my life! For those who may not know who that is...It is my HUSBAND! Around 2am, we finally relaxed into our beds for the evening, planning to depart from the hotel by 8am.
That brings me to the current moment. I am at the ATC headquarters in Harpers Ferry, WV checking in and using the facilities. For those curious, I am holding strong at 160pounds. I think the scale here actually has me at about 162lbs. It was nice to know I had not lost the 10pounds the scale at Bears Den said I had lost! After eating well in town, I am now ready to conquer the trail with just 54Snicker Bars and a bottle of Flintstone Vitamins. We will see how things go over the next few days! The next people to join me along the trail are my friend, Renee, and her boyfriend, David. I look forward to their company as they will be with me for part of Naked Hiker Day on June 21st. Watch for photos from then! HAHAHA! Take care everyone and be sure to call or write my husband and wish him a happy birthday today! I wish I was there to give him a great big birthday hug! Don't overwhelm him though with attention. He is still my shy little guy! Lots of love to you my darling and to all my friends and family!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Almost half way - WOW!!:) Had birthday dinner with the love of your life, MIL, and FIL at Winncoop. Nice evening but missed your presence. Wished I had heard from you but guess I can't every time. Enjoy the snickers high and stay healthy, stay safe.

Oh yeah - what's this about the naked trail???? Could you get backpack burns???!:)

Love you bunches
mzp

Anonymous said...

good going peeps. Say hi to Spice Rack for me. Anxious to hear how the snickers experiment goes. Yes, Jim & I felt sorry for Mike spending his 30th without his beloved so we made a quick trip to Co to be with him. He has lots of friends and we had a nice time at Wynkoop. Back home now. keep trekking!! M.I.L. & Jim

Anonymous said...

Great to here that you are still going strong and are having the time of your life. I am glad to hear of the new friends you have made and old ones that have joined you on the trail. Keep on hiking. You have done so much. Don't stop now.

Love The Rancks

Hollis said...

This is cool!