Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Other Pennsylvania

So, I mentioned in my first PA blog how nice it was on the trail. Well, after Duncannon, PA, as Renee pointed out, it got rocky! After Port Clinton, PA it got even rockier. However, I am at the end of PA heading to New Jersey today if I can just get motivated. It rained last night and I am not sure if that helped or hurt things! The humidity is a killer out here. I miss Colorado!
Here is the low down of what has been going on:
Out of Duncannon, Spice Rack and I hiked with Renee and David. Poor Spice rack got a little bored with the pace and would run ahead ocassionally, but always met us in the evening. He was quite the trooper and made me appreciate his companionship all that much more! Renee and David were troopers as well. It was not all that easy terrain as Renee mentioned, but I am glad they made it home safely. I told them I was worried about them making it back to their car as both seemed to be hurting some on the 2nd and third days! Their company was a blessing, though and reminded me why I am out here.
Upon leaving Renee and David, I was in a race to catch Spice Rack by dark. He was about 13+ miles ahead of me at that point and I was starting at my usual siesta time. My pace was as quick as I could go over the rocks without breaking myself. Twice I fell, once forward and once backward. It was frustrating. Then, I got to the shelter just before the PA501 shelter (where I was to meet Spice Rack) and found I was just 45minutes behind him. So, I took off in a slow sprint from the shelter as it was uphill out of the shelter and trotted down the trail hoping to catch him on the trail as he wrote in the register about pizza at the 501. No luck catching him and I arrived to the 501 first to find a thru-hiker who is always angry about something. My spirits fell and I looked around for the register to see if Spice Rack left me instructions of where to go. Luckily, I found the register with Spice Rack! Hooray! There was pizza at the shelter which I ate happily as I cooked a box of Spongebob Squarepants Mac&Cheese(actually 2boxes).
Reunited with Spice Rack, we headed to Port Clinton, PA the next day. A long day, but nice to be in a town. We got ourselves a room at the Port Clinton Hotel which was not worth what we paid, but it saved us from dealing with the angry thru-hiker and the other weirdos at the pavilion. The next day, we did a short day to the Eckville Shelter which use to be a hostel. It was loaded with sodas and all sorts of goodies you could have for donations. The place was sweet! We enjoyed it immensely! From there, we found ourselves back out on the trail pushing over more rocks and heading closer to Palmerton, PA. The distance was too great, so we camped by a road on a Friday night! Silly idea as we got the locals shooting off fireworks next to our tents, basically. What excitement. The next day we did a short day into the Jailhouse hostel in Palmerton, PA. It is nice to have short days.
From there, we had a huge rock climb to Wind Gap with limited water as the weather has been hot and humid and dried up most of the springs. It was nice to be in a hotel in Wind Gap with the AC on full blast. From there, we were able to push into Delaware Water Gap, where I am currently using the computer at the Church of the Mountains Hostel. It is a nice place. The pastor and crew are great people. I highly recommend checking it out. Now, it looks like either 10 or 17miles out of town and into New Jersey! No more long states until Maine. Looks like I am going to make it! We will see what happens. There are suppose to be lots of friendly bears in Jersey. So hopefully, I do not get eaten by a bear! We will see what happens. There are many snake photos on my camera currently which I hope to make sure Gabe, the 10yr old I was working with before I left, gets a chance to see them. I know he would appreciate their beauty.
And of course, I could not end my blog without a shout out to my husband who commented to me the other day when we talked that I truly am his soulmate! I love you my darling and am counting down the miles until I get to see you and spend the rest of my life with you! Only 615miles until I am with you! Love you lots! Thank you everyone for your support and love. Take care and keep in touch with the progress as I move north! Lots of Love to everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Peeps kid! Take care in this heat. Bet the rain was nice while coming down but now the humidity. Keep the fluids in you even if it means slowing the pace. Love ya bunches. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Love
mzp

Anonymous said...

You are going to make it, Peeps! And I've got a party waiting for you in Colorado. Take care...if the bears are friendly, you shouldn't get eaten, maybe just licked!
Love you,

Stevi

Anonymous said...

Hey Peeps. Glad to see your posting. Sounds like quite an adventure. I'm anxious to see the pictures. Keep trekking and we'll see you in Maine. the in-laws.

Anonymous said...

... and I thought you would be in New Hampshire by now - ha ha! Glad to hear you caught up with Spice Rack; not so glad to hear you found Sr. Angry-Pants again. Stay safe (no more falling!) and hydrated!

Take care,
Renee