Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Dad's experience

Here is the note that Kasey's dad sent me about his short excursion with her including some of his tips on how to survive out there:


The AT is no walk in the woods! I am not the "sharpest knife in the drawer" according to Kasey, but I learn quickly. I learned much from my 2 days on the AT. The trail was planned out to go across as many mountain peaks as possible. This requires much UP and DOWN hiking. Minimize weight as much as possible. Walking is not beneficial to prepare yourself physically for the rigors of the AT. Pushing yourself up and down steep hills will help. Plenty of water is needed......at least 4 quarts a day will help keep the leg cramps/fatigue to minimum. The "family" experience of thru hikers is incredible. They support and watch out for each other all along the trail. Our 2 days in Pigeon Forge (Dollywood, Dixie Stampede, brewery, hot tub, etc) were great fun! Kasey was refreshed and ready to hike on Thursday morning, even though the temperature was 20 degrees and an inch of snow on the ground at Clingman Dome. Kasey is on an incredible journey. She is a very strong woman. I am extremely proud of her. Pictures will follow when developed.
Dad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a little worried about how long I'll be able to make it when I join her in June. I'll try to pack as light as possible. I've been doing some steep steps in Kirk Park and our beach stairs as often as I get a chance - but it's not like going all day as I'll have to on the trail. Thanks for the tips. Millie

Anonymous said...

Hi Kasey:
The Faber's hope you had a wonderful Birthday. We're glad to read another posting. President Bush relocated his outdoor talk in the Smoky Mtn.'s last week due to bad weather; I laughed and thought of you out there!
Gabriel loves his postcards, we've gotten G, E, and A. Tomorrow we're shopping for treats to send you. Gretchen