Sunday, April 03, 2005

Snow Storms and Hiking

So, I catch the shuttle out of Helen, GA at 8:45am yesterday back to the AT. They drop us off and up the hill about 7 of us go! I was in the lead, but got passed by "One Thing" eventually. The further up the mountain I went, the worse the weather got. By the time I was 0.5 miles from the peak of Tray Mountain, I had red legs and the snow had blown such that ice crystals were forming on my leg hairs. So, I stopped and put on both layers of pants and that warmed me up! "One Thing" and I made it to the top of Tray Mountain and stopped at the Shelter. I wanted to get out my camera because I figured nobody would believe me if I said we had snow storms.

Once I was all set, I looked at One thing because he seemed a little apprehensive about hiking in the snow by himself or letting me hike by myself in the snow for fear of getting lost. He told me it was fine with him if I felt safe enough to take off hiking without him. So, I said goodbye and headed off on the trail. It was pretty easy to follow the trail despite the blowing snow. The terrain was rough and the day was getting late, but I was enjoying the snow, especially when the mountains would block the wind! I have some great photos from yesterday. As the day wore on and I found myself getting colder and people kept passing me talking of going into town, I began to think they had the right idea.

When Dark Helmet and Lobster Boy passed me in the last little bit to the shelter and said cricket, Lisa, sheeba, and they were all headed into town, I said I had to go in with them. So, I made my way to the road where I met up with Bootleg who was trying to catch a ride as well as Dark Helmet and Lobster Boy. They got a ride first and by then there were 4 more hikers out of the mountains. I rode into Hiawassee with Lisa, Sheeba, Cricket, and another guy. The other guy headed to the Blueberry Patch and I headed into town with the others. All four of us got a room together at the Holiday Inn Express and did some laundry, showered, and then went for dinner. It was kind of a surreal night. This group of hikers is tons of fun. We were up until midnight laughing, joking, and drinking beer. It was tons of fun! I think they may be taking a 0 day today and then back out on the trail tomorrow. Although, Sheeba sounded like she wanted to be back on the trail so they may head out today. We will see what happens.

Currently, the sun is out and I am waiting for the 9am shuttle to come take me back to the mountains. I have a semi long day but it will pale in comparison to yesterday as the sun is out and I am not doing 16miles with fierce winds! :) The forecast looks iffy for the next week though. I look forward to what it throws my way! Looks like thunderstorms around the time I meet up with my father, so I hope he is prepared for that! It is wicked out here on the AT in the thunderstorms. Lets hope for no lightening strikes nearby during those days!

Take care everyone and know that I am making good choices and staying safe! My love goes out to everyone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh those things you can't plan on - THE WEATHER!! We were watching golf out of Atlanta and they had wind chills in the thirty's so I figured you were getting something! What an experience!

Keep warm - keep safe!
Love ya big bunches !!!:)
mzp

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your getting quite the adventure on your first week out. Glad to hear that you are excited about the hike and taking safety cautions when needed. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy!
Love The Rancks

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're doing great. Just got off the phone with your husband - I think he misses you but he is also adjusting and doing fine. We e-mailed him pictures of your start that he will post soon. Love, the in-laws

Anonymous said...

Nothing like testing you right from the start...it can only get better from here, eh? The boys keep saying they are coming to look for you in the mountains. We all miss you and are glad you are doing well. Keep it going, Peeps! STV

Anonymous said...

Hey Kasey:
We think about you daily! It's fun to see the pictures and read the updates. Gabe and Joe say "hi". Gabriel is doing MUCH better, and likes the new school a whole bunch. He's settling in with Holly, but asked me last week if you were going to be back from your "hike" soon:) Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kasey - April 13. Hope your day is filled with a shower, good food, and fun. You deserve it all. Keep trekking. the in-laws

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you, Squashed tomoatoes and stew. Eggs and bacon for breakfast, Happy Birthday to you. Love auntie t

Anonymous said...

Kasey, Wow, the time got here pretty fast for your adventure. I'm sorry we missed hooking up before you left and we are late wishing you happy birthday. I hope all is going well and you are enjoying all the excitement of the time. Sorry about the snow, wind and rain but I bet you do have some great pictures when it's all said and done. Looking forward to watching your progress and sharing a beer when you get back. Enjoy!
Debbie and Charla