Saturday, August 13, 2005

New Hampshire/Maine

Well, the pain and agony is almost over! For the past month, I have cried at least once a day. It is beginning to get old. With the rugged schedule set for the 2week race to the finish, I am getting more worn down than I already was from this trail.
As Mike mentioned, he has joined me from Gorham, NH to the finish line. Every day he has been with me, he has seen me break down in tears at least once as well as throw one temper tantrum. I think the end is near!
So, anyway, here is what has been going on with the trail since last I wrote.
I have made my way, slowly but sure-ly, through the White Mountains. It was slow mostly for the views and the terrain. We were above treeline most of the time. The hut system through the Whites is only conducive to certain mileage.
Our first introduction to the Whites was over Mt Moosilauke. It was beautiful and a relatively easy climb. Spice Rack and I then made it down to the shelter for the evening and I was exhausted. The next day was an 8mile push into North Woodstock to meet his mom and step-dad for the afternoon. We went to the Woodstock Inn and Brewery for an early dinner. Then, Spice Rack convinced his mom and stepdad to take us to White River Jct., VT for a party being thrown by friends (Croc Walker & Britanica)we had recently made on the trail. So, we slept in White River Jct that night and received limosine service back to the trail the next morning. Spice Rack and I were wishing for hikers in the parking lot as we got out of the limo, but no such luck! I do have photos for proof.
From that point on, Spice Rack and I only had 2 days left of hiking together. We hiked separately but together. The first Hut I visited in the Whites was the Galehead Hut. These huts are like chalets in the mountains for vacationers. They allow thru-hikers to do work for stay. I was the first hiker to arrive and ask the fill-in croo (crew) about the work for stay so I was granted work. As soon as they brought me on as staff, they treated me as staff as well and I worked right along side of them. They gave me a bunk since the hut was not full for the evening and I received both all I could eat dinner as well as breakfast. We had to eat after the guests were finished, but that was fine. The fill-in croo was awesome. Because they treated me like a staff member, I worked my buns off for them. Each of them had brought their own liquor to the hut and thus I had red wine with my pasta shell dinner that night as well as Baileys for dessert. Spice Rack and I hung out with the croo and laughed and joked the night away. It was great fun. Two of the guys are headed to Colorado in September and I gave them my information to look me up while out there! I hope they do.
From there, the experiences were a little different in the huts. I only did work for stay in one more hut and that was the busiest one in the Whites...Lakes of the Clouds Hut. They had me only clean a freezer and I got to sleep on the table that evening. I did not feel I earned everything I received and felt kind of like a dirty beggar, so I left early the next morning without breakfast. From there to Gorham, NH, I was by myself as Spice Rack had left the trail to spend time with friends and family.
The Whites were overwhelming due to the crowds of people, but at the same time the people are what helped me stay on the trail when I so badly wanted to quit! At this time, I need to send out a HUGE THANK YOU to the women I had dinner with at Pinkham Notch after my miserable descent from the Presidential Range. If it were not for these ladies asking me about the trail and encouraging me to continue, I would not have gone back out on the trail. It is funny how the right people come along at the right time.
As I hiked out of Pinkham Notch that day, I silently thanked the ladies. Coming up the Wildcat Peaks, I met another couple ladies who were also impressed with my journey. They said I must feel so fit, to which I laughed and told them I was currently feeling like a crotchity old lady. When we reached the top, they wished me luck and I had enough energy to keep myself going along the trail. Thank you strangers for the words of encouragement and support when I needed it most. People like you 5 ladies are what I am talking about when I speak of the wonderful people I have met along the trail. In my world, you are the truly amazing people! Thank you again!
From the White Mountains, I have moved into Maine and it has kicked my rear worse than the Whites could have. The Mahoosuc Notch was a wonderful jungle gym of fun and not nearly as difficult as the rest of Maine has proven to be at this time. At the top of Moody Mountain, I found myself wanting to throw my pack off the mountain. Mike and I began brainstorming how to make this easier for me and get the GA-ME done. We have visited every town near the trail in Maine and it is helping a little. Currently, I am sitting in Stratton, ME with friends I have made along the way...GG&Slip-n-slide, Croc Walker & Britanica, AJ, & Iron Foot. I look forward to celebrating with them tonight and moving on up the trail. Tomorrow looks rough, but hoping for family support from Mike's parents as they are headed out this way in the next few days. From Stratton, we find ourselves in Caratunk Monday then Monson on Wednesday. Monson, ME starts the 100mile wilderness and thus my final stretch into the finish line! We are still looking to slackpack a couple more times before the 100mile wilderness, but we will see what is available. Mike needs to remember his parents' cell phone numbers so he might actually arrange something with them! We will see what happens!
Not long now and I will be done and on a plane for Colorado. I look forward to finishing and then sitting around doing nothing for a week. Mike and I are having fun but it is rough going some days. The Bigelows are tomorrow and the rumor is after that things are easy. We will see how the knees and ankles hold up for the finish. I atleast need to make it to the top of Katahdin. If they have to rescue me from the top, that is fine, but I need to make it up on my own (with Mike's support).
As always, thank you everyone for your love and support. It has been a great journey and the next posting should be of my completion. For those in the Colorado area, there is a welcome home party and hopefully everyone has gotten the evite on that one. I look forward to catching up with everyone, but most of all I look forward to holding my new nephew, Kyle in my arms and teaching him how to torture his mommy! Thank you everyone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always enjoyed your entries and they also gave me a sigh of relief to know you were still doing okay. Today I feel for you. I know how much you want to finish yesterday! You're putting in a lot of miles to finish on a deadline. I hope you stay safe and stay healthy at the same time. I'm glad Mike is there for support and hope he isn't suffering too bad. I look forward to seeing you at the Mountain!

Love you bunches. And again - Stay safe and Stay healthy.

mzp

Anonymous said...

I know you can..I know you can..I know you can...Ditto on mzp's words. There is love, nutrition, and chocolate in the ME food drop from the family in Nevada. Give her a hug from us please, Mike. CL, EP and JP

Anonymous said...

Kasey:

We heard about your website from Brenda at the Balcom family reunion. It is fun to see all that you are accomplishing on this journey. Keep up the good work. The end is in sight. We hope to hear of your adventures in person when you return. You are in our thoughts.

Kurt and Gayle Greeley

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, lady! You're one of the toughest people I know and you're almost there! Can't wait to see your finish-line posting :)

Take care,
Renee

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kyle is my boy...he will NOT torture his mother! I can understand the trail getting harder. I miss you more now than I did 6 months ago! "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..." and "Just remember I love you, and it will be alright!". Stevi

Anonymous said...

Kasey, So glad to hear that you finished! What an achievement--you can be very proud of yourself! I know something of what it is like to go on a long journey and get to the finish, only mine was not such a physical journey--just getting through seminary--I'm close to being done!
Hope you are celebrating right now! Aunt Norma