Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Last Chance, Last Dance

I'm not real sure how to start this one. The trip is over and I have to some how tell of its finish. I guess I could tell of the last day, then write later about the after life. So, here is my climb of Katahdin!

The day started with a beautiful blue sky and an hour drive from Millinocket, ME to Baxter State Park. We were suppose to get started around 6am, but woke up late and were kind of rushed to get going. Breakfast, I have learned is the most important part of the day and thus I made sure to grab what I could from the continental breakfast at the hotel. So, what if I started later than planned, I knew I would be alright.
We got to the park and asked what I needed to do in regards to my thru-hiker status and finishing up my journey. The ranger instructed us to go to the ranger station and sign in. We (MZP, Mike, Jim, and I) headed there and I filled out all the necessary papers and such for my completion. I was listed as #138 to finish this year. From there, I put my last entry into the register at the ranger's station and headed towards the mountain which was looming over me.
By 7am, we started our climb after everyone had visited with the privy and packed their necessities for a 5.2mile hike up 4000ft of elevation. Once again, my sherpa (Mike) was carrying our gear up the mountain. It felt good to be free of weight on my back. The first mile of the trail was pretty nice, gradual, and easy. We then had to cross a log bridge and visit the toilet there before continuing to ascend the mountain. The terrain began to get a little more technical but still manageable. There were a few places where my mother had to use her bottom or knees to climb up a section, but she was quite the trooper. I think she had my determination to make it to the top and take my picture by the end of the trail. Unfortunately, the trail did not agree with her and once above treeline, she was forced to concede to the trail. Mike, Jim, and I left her at the first place the mountain began to throw metal rungs at us and promised to return to her on the way back down the mountain. We continued up the rocky terrain. From where we left MZP to a mile from the summit, the terrain consisted mostly of rock climbing and bouldering. It was adventurous and I was impressed with Jim's ability to hang in there. Of course, this also made me nervous about the trip down.
Once on the flatland section of the trail, it was easy sailing to the summit. Upon reaching the flatlands, I kind of broke away from Mike and Jim as I was needing to collect myself for the end of an amazing journey. At one point, I broke down sobbing to myself because I was not with trail friends for this journey. I was basically the only northbounder finishing my journey on the 22nd. It was kind of a lonely feeling and I hoped to find Croc Walker & Britanica at the bottom when I finished. When I had come to terms with my lonely trip to the end, I continued ahead of Mike and Jim towards the summit.
As I was heading up from the flatlands, a person heading back down the mountain pointed out the end of my journey. I grew depressed and disappointed as it looked like the summit sign was located in the middle of a ridge and wasn't even the highest point. "Oh well," I thought to myself. I came here to get her done and that is what I will do today. So onward I went up the mountain. About 200yds from the summit, a loud clap of thunder rang out through the sky. I trudged on. Around 100yds from the sign, the cloud I am walking in opens up and dumbs an icy rain upon my head. People are coming down from the summit and I can see the sign. One of them comments to me about my still heading up to the top. I told her I had to I was too close not to go up now! So, I trudged onward. When I reached the sign and the terminus of my journey, I stood and stared at the sign almost in shock. Then the tears began to fall...I was done! Now what?
As I waited for Mike and Jim, I took a photo looking over the sign at the back side of the mountain as it was an amazing view. The last one of my journey, I figured! When Mike and Jim arrived to the summit, we quickly took photos and I opened the miniature bottle of Tequilla I brought to the summit to celebrate. Mike and Jim did not join me in the consumption of Tequilla and I did not drink much as I figured I could share with my mother upon my descent!
With photos taken of my completion, we headed back out to the sound of rumbling in the sky. I commented to Mike and Jim, "I began my trip this way, so it is no wonder I finish in this weather." We moved quickly over the ground due to my fear of getting struck by lightening (which we never did see any) or my mother freezing while she sat on the ledge waiting for us to return (luckily my mom is smart and had already began her descent). On the way up, many people passed us, but on the way down we flew by people. It was a great relief to use my hands rather than my legs for the first part of the descent. There was a lot of boot scoot boogying down the mountain, but that made it easier to go quicker. We made it to where we left my mother and had been told she had already made her way down the mountain. I was thankful she was hopefully safe! Mike, Jim, and I made our way slowly down the rest of the trail as it was not as easy to use our hands on the stuff below treeline and thus it took a toll on our knees, feet, and legs in general.
By 3:30pm, we had made it back to the car where my mother was sitting at a covered picnic table chatting with Croc Walker & Britanica. I was excited to see them all. There was a past thru-hiker there as well joining in the celebration of the day. We broke out the champagne and finished off the tequilla. I counciled Croc Walker & Britanica on what to plan for the next day. Mike and I also had to inform them we were not burned badly from the previous day's fire incident as they had heard from the southbound couple we had been burned as well. Three Feathers came by and we exchanged information and I wished him luck on his completion of the trail tomorrow. After hanging out a bit longer with Croc Walker & Britanica, we decided we needed to head out and meet up with Marty and the Awesome MIL who had decided to golf instead of climb Mountain Katahdin that day. With hugs & promises to keep in touch to Croc Walker & Britanica, the four of us headed to Millinocket. The journey was complete!
Thank you everyone for your support and love throughout my travels. It was an amazing journey and I hope to keep a grasp of all I learned while hiking the trail. The trip could not have happened without the support from all of you! My mother once dedicated the song, 'I Hope you Dance," to me. I have danced throughout this trail and hope to continue dancing as often as life allows me to dance and experience everything life has to offer me. Thank you!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knew you could do it. I'm glad I was there at the start, the middle and the end. It gave me an appreciation of the real accomplishment of the journey. Your life will change for the better because of it. Props to Peeps!! M.I.L. & F.I.L.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knew you could do it. I'm glad I was there at the start, the middle and the end. It gave me an appreciation of the real accomplishment of the journey. Your life will change for the better because of it. Props to Peeps!! M.I.L. & F.I.L.

Anonymous said...

"Props to Peeps" well said MIL. Peeps, I have read with interest of your adventure. I hope to someday be a thru hiker myself. Anyway, are you keeping a separate journal with more private thoughts that you don't want to share? I'm just curious. Do you plan to make another entry after you've had a little time to decompress and reflect? You say you have learned alot. What have you learned? Can you be more descriptive? Really, I'm not being critical, I'm just really curious. Anyway----what an awesome experience you have had!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

We were relieved to know that you finished safely and that you and Mike were not injured too badly in the Burning Man Incident :)

Renee & David

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to have been an active participant of your last day's travel on the AT. As we traveled back to Michigan from Maine, I had a new appreciation of those woods, hills, mountains, you traversed along the AT after attempting the climb up Mt. Katahdin. How disappointed I was I didn't make it to the top but how pleased I was to have made it as far as I did. Glad to hear you actually saved some TEquilla for mzp!!:) Hope you, Mike and Jim are feeling much more limber than I after 5 days. Still a bit stiff. Congrats to you and don't stop the Dance!

Love you bunches.

mzp

Anonymous said...

Peeps, Congrats - as someone (who you don't know) who has been following your adventure, I'm looking forward to hearing of "the after life" as you put it! Guess you've left us wanting more! I'm sure I'm not the only one! Hope to read more entries from you once you catch your breath!! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear what your name is and how you got it. Reading your entries has brought back a lot of great memories of my CT trip. Looking forward to hearing your stories!
Megan

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear what your name is and how you got it. Reading your entries has brought back a lot of great memories of my CT trip. Looking forward to hearing your stories!
Megan

Anonymous said...

Kasey, A big congratulations on the completion of your journey!! What a wonderful dream you've lived. You can enjoy that forever now.
Peace,
Joe Wolf
(met you at Adam & Marion's a couple years ago)