Saturday, October 09, 2021

The Woman Who Just CAN'T Give Up

 Soooo...This NCT thing is certainly not panning out like I planned. From nausea and vomiting to emotional outbursts, I return to the safety of my Colorado home only to return to the trail multiple times in hopes of just getting a little more ready to do it...alone. This time, I am headed back to Michigan for my 25th Kalamazoo College reunion, and I'm taking my husband and dog with me. The plan, complete the tri-county challenge, 120miles across 3 southern counties of Michigan; Barry, Kalamazoo, and Calhoun. Due to time availability, I plan to complete it in 4 days, thus 30miles each day. 

We head out from Colorado with plans to reach Battle Creek, MI area on the 2nd day and stay at a hotel where I had gotten a reservation just the day before. I figured it wouldn't be a problem because I had done the same thing for the night we left, only I had made the reservation the same day as arrival. Unfortunately, we were not as lucky with the Battle Creek Hotel. They gave me some run around about not having a reservation for me and to take it up with the booking service I used. I had used their website for the reservation. So, I spent my night before starting my hike talking to customer service about the poor quality of service and making sure I got my money refunded. We were lucky to find a dog friendly room at the Red Roof Inn nearby. 

Finally securing my lodging for the next 3 nights, we unpacked, and I started to prepare for Day 1 of the adventure. The next 4 days were going to have to be early and long, if I was to go 30 miles each day. So, I packed up my running vest, filled my 3L hydration bladder, and made sure I had everything I needed laid out. Once ready, I headed to bed for the night. Tomorrow was going to be exciting and interesting. 

No comments: