Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Side Trips - Little Pick Ups

 

    So, with another failure at backpacking, I spent a night at my mom's home before my brother-in-law and his wife contacted me about joining them on a trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with a side trip to Mackinac Island. Rather than sit around my mom's house for another 2 weeks or better, I agreed to join them. They picked me up the next day, and we headed to St Ignace for 2 nights. We spent a full day on Mackinac Island, where we rode bikes around the island, saw all the sites, learned about the history of the island, and enjoyed the brewery/distillery. It was a great day.
    The next day, we headed further north to meet up with my mother-in-law and father-in-law in Paradise, MI. Originally, they were supposed to be on this trip, while I was backpacking my way along the NCT to meet up with them in the areas where we would be visiting. We stayed in a wonderful location right on the shore of Whitefish Bay, and spent a day exploring Tahquamenon Falls, through which the NCT passes. My mother-in-law being the amazing supportive human being that she is joined me on the NCT from the upper to lower falls. A rugged trail with gorgeous views. We enjoyed the surroundings as we traversed the 5 miles. Eventually, we met up with the rest of the family and spent some time in the river before enjoying a lunch at the Brewery.
    It was a beautiful adventure visiting a place that feels like home to me; however, it still did not inspire me to put on my pack and head out by myself. I was enjoying the support and comfort of being with my in-laws even if it did make me feel a little like a weird incompetent child, who if given a chance would be 40 living in her parents' basement for the rest of their lives. The emotions reared up again, as we headed back to the cabins on Whitefish Bay/Paradise to settle in for the night and prepare for touring Whitefish Point and the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
















No comments: