Thursday, July 15, 2021

Triple Crown of Michigan: Day 1, Jordan Valley loop



 

Somewhere in the middle of the night, the rain begins. Thunder and lightening decide to join. I listen to the sounds snuggled inside my mom's camper as I wrestle with how much I want to do this challenge. My "why" still unknown, I force myself out of bed that morning, and head out into the rain to drive from Cadillac to the Jordan River Valley, a place I don't ever remember exploring before. Kalkaska, MI was always the place you passed through on your way to the Mackinac bridge. It was the place with the fish fountain!
The night before, I had figured out at what trailhead I was going to start. Then, I got there and a tree had fallen over the road. I'm driving my mother's Buick sedan, which she commented during our adventure home from PA she does not like to take on dirt roads. The roads to the trailheads were all dirt, AND it was raining. Between worrying whether my mom would be mad and realizing I was heading into unknown woods of Michigan by myself with no cellphone signal in the rain, I again questioned my "why." 

When I finally got to a trailhead parking lot, I noticed there was only 1 other car. It was raining, I figured, nobody in their right mind would be out hiking in this. I had grown up in this place, I know the people. I'll be fine. My mom's car would be safe, right? If it was gone when I got back, then I could call her and my step-dad to get me. My step-dad would basically be passing close to this area on his way back from Traverse City, right?
So, off I went into the dark unknown...down...down...down!? Uh, I am going to have to go back up that at some point, right? The trail was muddy, the trees dripped water, and any leaves or grass I brushed against soaked my skin. I opted for a running skort that day because my legs are mostly waterproof. 

Once in the valley, the hike was relatively easy and pleasant. The raindrops breaking through occasionally, but otherwise just keeping temperatures cool. The clouds and mist adding to the intrigue and mystery of this place. 









As I traversed the 20 miles of this loop, I passed many benches, which I hold true to the idea that every bench should be sat on to see the view someone wanted me to see. Sometimes the benches were just good for holding my gear as I took a break from the weight. 

When I was looking into the triple crown facebook group, there was discussion about whether a person needed to carry their pack fully loaded as if they were truly backpacking the loops or not. There was no clear cut idea, so I decided to go with a fully loaded backpack as though I would be out for the 3 days it would take me to finish this challenge. Also, I wanted to check in with my body and see what was up and whether it would be ready to traverse the Upper Peninsula of Michigan the end of the month. I didn't puke, and despite the rain, I did not cry.

Part way through this loop, the trail crosses the 45th parallel. It is a unique aspect of the NCT as this is the only place the trail crosses it. So, of course, I made sure to take a photo. The rest of the trail wound around, over, and through the Jordan Valley providing amazing views and taking me through a couple of decent camping spots only accessible by ORV/ATV or by foot. I was impressed that such a neat area existed so close to where I grew up. I guess Kalkaska has more to offer than just the fish fountain. 

When all was said and done, my tracker said I had gone a little over 18 miles, I believe. So, I hoped that the next couple loops would pick up the extra and make it average out to 20miles per loop. Overall, the day was a success, and I felt pretty proud. No puking. My feet didn't hurt. My thighs hurt from rubbing because the skort rolled up and exposed my thighs to each other. The moisture sure didn't help either. So, on the way back into town I stopped for some pants at the local Meijer's Thrifty Acres and met my mom and step-dad at the Elk's Lodge for a celebratory drink and to recount my day. Then, it was back to the camper to sleep and prepare for the next day.

















No comments: